In one of the two rooms on the first floor, eight of the ten outstanding paintings done by Captain Robert Smith are exhibited.
Captain Robert Smith (1787-1873) was a military engineer with the East India Company. Between 1814-15, he was posted to Penang as Superintending Engineer. He returned again in 1817 to complete the construction of St. George's Church.
During Smith's brief sojourns in Penang, he produced an impressive series of landscape paintings of the island.